Now more than ever mothers are being called to centre their own needs
I was driving to the beach, my family beside me, the sun was shining.
But, somehow, despite it all… I felt like crap.
Objectively I knew I had no direct reason to be unhappy, but nonetheless, deep inside, I was down.
Resisting the urge to rationalise and make up a reason for my sadness, I surrendered.
I knew that, honestly, this was a sign from my body, it was time to refresh and rejuvenate and slow down.
Some of the common reasons people don’t rest when they know they need to are:
- “I don’t have time”: it feels like don’t have time to rest due to work, home chores, mothering, and other commitments.
- Stress can make it difficult to relax and rest, as you are regularly worrying about the future.
- You may fear missing out on something important if you take time to rest.
- Fear of failure: you may be afraid that if you rest, you won’t be able to accomplish your goals.
- Poor sleep quality: you may not be able to get a good night’s sleep, which can make it difficult to rest anytime.
- Poor nutrition: certain foods can make it difficult to rest, as the body isn’t receiving the nutrients it needs to function optimally.
- Lack of motivation: you may not feel motivated to rest, as you can’t see comparative benefits of doing so.
YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL, A BIG DREAM, A FULFILLING MUM-LIFE AND A BEAUTIFUL COMMUNITY. BUT FIRST, YOU HAVE TO HEAL FROM DEPLETION.
There’s no doubt that when we do utilise the oxygen mask principle and care for ourselves, centre our own. needs, and maintain optimal holistic health we are able to participate in our lives and in the world in more meaningful and satisfying ways.
Feeling connecting to ourselves and each other is a basic human need, and leads us to one of our essential human rights – to have purpose, alongside motherhood.
Without time, space and skills for rest and rejuvenation we are prevented from being the mums, women and changemakers we dream of being.
I wish you all the best in your mission to step into that most fulfilling of experiences.