I love making these at home! They take literally a matter of minutes to make and then you are left with these lovely and nutritious sweets instead of the ones from the shop that are so expensive and potentially full of nasties.
Also, gelatin is actually really great for your skin and your overall health in that it contains important amino acids.
I’ve adapted this from the Merrymaker Sisters recipe for paleo lollies. I also purchased a jelly lolly maker from a local craft shop, which is just a bit of a gizmo for making it more fun with the kids and providing cool shapes (though you don’t really need one). You can even just use ice cube trays as moulds if that’s what you have on hand.
1/3 cup fresh fruit or vegetable juice
1 ½ tbs. powdered gelatin
1 tbs. honey, sugar, agave or rice malt syrup
- In a small saucepan mix the juice and sweetener well.
- Mix in the gelatin (add slowly so it doesn’t clump).
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes till a soft jelly forms.
- Place the saucepan onto a medium heat and continuously stir for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Carefully fill silicon moulds or ice cube trays.
- Place in in the freezer (or fridge works too) until set.
- Pop out the lollies and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for about a week.