This one is a power-packed, gut boosting, energy-bringing vegetarian meal that I stumbled across whilst using some leftovers. Most of my best recipes are discovered by accident in fact using seasonal surplus.
In our organic box from our local supplier, The Organic Scarecrow, we usually get more of whatever is in season.
It forces my hand and brings out the creative cook in me. I think of new ways to use what we already have – which is a great philosophy for reducing waste in general.
It’s also really good for your natural biome to eat food that is in season and grown locally – literally of the land you are on.
We have also just started ordering microgreens from a local grower. Because it is a subscription-only model it means they only grow what has been ordered, and I love that. These microgreens are packed with nutrients and tasty too.
You can easily grow them yourself if you don’t have access to a grower in your area.
GREEN BROCCOLI SALAD WITH LEMON TAHINI
2-3 heads of broccoli lightly steamed (still green)
1/2 cup fresh tomato, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 cup shredded silverbeet or baby spinach leaves
1/2 Iceberg lettuce, chunks (broken up by hand)
Optional: microgreens, avocado, anything else you want to use up (celery or cucumber would work well).
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons tahini
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: teaspoon garlic paste/garlic dip/finely chopped raw
- Steam the broccoli but be careful not to overcook. Once it turns bright green run it under cold water to prevent it from continuing to cook whilst resting.
- Prepare tomato, silverbeet (or baby spinach), lettuce and microgreens.
- Place all salad ingredients into a wooden salad bowl that is not cleaned with detergent but only salt/lemon/sunshine (preferrable as it is condusive to good bacteria). Toss to mix.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid, shake to combine. Add tiny amounts of water if needed for viscosity.
5. Pour dressing over and serve.